William G. Milliken State Park and Harbor
As the first urban park in Michigan, William G. Milliken State Park and Harbor (formerly Tri-Centennial Park) offers 31 acres carved out on the banks of the Detroit River will offer a green oasis in the midst of downtown Detroit.
The first phase of the park - the harbor - was opened to the public in 2004 and offers several covered picnic areas, shoreline fishing and a newly renovated 52-slip harbor. A 63-foot light tower marks the harbor entrance. It is a scaled-down replica of the recently-renovated lighthouse at Tawas Point State Park, originally built in 1876.
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Parks & Recreation began construction on the second phase of development at the park in Summer 2008. The second phase of the park opened on December 1, 2009 and includes a wetlands demonstration project, which shows how wetlands act as nature's water filtration system. Interpretative signs explain how the wetland naturally cleans the water and then returns it to the Detroit River as clean water - without going to a wastewater treatment plant.
The RiverWalk passes through the park in the area closest to the Detroit River, and a quiet, contemplative area with a memorial to Peter Stroh, a noted conservationist who, for 25 years, was a tireless advocate for the opening Detroit's waterfront the public, is featured in part of the park. A bike path, with financial support from the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), laces through the area on the other side of the wetland. Fishing platforms are available along the riverfront edge of the park.
All these exciting developments would not be possible without support from several funding sources, including the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, MDOT, DEQ, the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund and the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan's Greenways Initiative.
MILLIKEN STATE PARK AND HARBOR LANDMARKS
|William G. Milliken State Park and Harbor Lighthouse
William G. Milliken State Park and Harbor boasts a 63-foot lighthouse, which is a scaled down replica of the recently renovated lighthouse at Tawas Point State Park, originally built in 1876. Tawas Point Lighthouse is the sole representative of a true Victorian-era style station built on the Great Lakes.
For more information on William G. Milliken State Park and Harbor, or to reserve a picnic shelter please visit www.michigan.gov/milliken.